Tuesday 26 August 2008

Edinburgh and England

So I am now in Stratford on the Avon River in England! Which is the birthplace of Shakespeare, pretty cool huh? Here's some cool stories from the last week:

This has been a somewhat musical week for me, and anyone who knows me well will know how excited that makes me. I saw two instruments I had never heard of before! The first was a Hungarian gypsy instrument that was like a piano without keys where you just hammer the strings yourself. And the second was this cool Swiss inverted steel drum called a hang that I saw some hippies playing on the sidewalk. I am determined to get one.

I'm also starting to pick up a Scottish accent, which is wild. I was talking to an older gentleman the other night and I didn't even realize that I sounded like a local until another Westmont student walked in and I started speaking without the accent again. I'm hoping I can hold onto it, cuz I'm pretty stoked.

Today we visited Coventry Cathedral, an old church that was bombed in WWII and now is basically just a shell. It was an amazing and humbling experience to see how even with all of the destruction caused to the cathedral, the ruins still stand as a monument for international peace.

We also visited Warwick Castle today, and it turns out I have an ancestor who was the Earl of Warwick and lived in the castle. So basically I went home today, kinda. :) But they still made me pay to get in. :/

I'm gonna go post pictures on my profile from the trip so far if any of you want to see. I hope you all are enjoying the last wee bits of your summer and I hope the transition back to school goes well!

Cheerio!

No comments: